Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Different Kind of Christmas

I have been neglecting this blog for quite awhile now because....well, I guess I haven't had much to say.  But now here I sit, the night before Christmas Eve, about as tired as I've ever been, with good thoughts going through my head and I realize there is a lot of stuff I need to remember when Christmas rolls around next year (as well as thoughts I'd like to pass on to my children at some point in the future...I've been telling them for weeks but they won't remember it until I "remind them" when they're older).

Last year I was determined to have a simpler Christmas-- I have spoiled my kids rotten for the last 16 years and I can honestly look back on all of that and actually feel a little shame at what I've done.  It's not like we've forgotten the real meaning of Christmas or anything, but the focus really has been about PRESENTS, PRESENTS and MORE PRESENTS.  Like I said, I completely blame myself.  I've even given them gifts in the past that they never even USED--almost like they were buried in so much crap they didn't even know where to start.  I even found a couple of Playstation games I have given them in the past that still have the plastic wrapper on them.  I'm sure if they had been the only games they'd received the kids would have opened them right up...but when you get 7 or 8 games, naturally you're going to gravitate towards your favorite and leave the rest.  Last year I was determined to change all that, but did I really?  NO!  I got them some new comforters and "didn't count them" because, you know, they're just bedspreads...and I would have bought them anyway.  And clothes, of course, because they "needed" them also didn't count.  Then I got the Playstation 3 and all was lost...I was back in the same boat.

So THIS YEAR was the year...things had to change.  So, to go along with our Total Money Makeover, I decided it was time for a Total Christmas Makeover as well.  All my credit cards are history, so this was actually easier than it might otherwise have been (although the numbers were still on file with Amazon.com... not to mention Paypal...so if I'd really wanted to, I could have accessed them but I didn't)  And I'm happy to report that I have actually managed to pull it off this year!

After Patrick and I decided on a budget for Christmas, I went to the bank and got the cash.  The goal was to continue to dump all our extra money onto our debt while still having a nice Christmas. We had a family meeting with the kids and I informed them that we were not going to be swimming in gifts this year because I was turning over a new leaf.  We told them how much we were spending and I asked them to really THINK about what they wanted--if it was something more expensive it might be all they got, or they could chose several smaller things.  They all gave me good lists to work with and I started shopping.
Cash is an amazing thing... you spend it and it's gone.  It doesn't reproduce itself (like I tend to think it does when I'm using the credit card) and it makes you be honest with yourself about what you're spending.  When the Christmas envelope was empty I did an incredible thing--I stopped shopping.  I managed to get the kids quite a bit of what they wanted (since they mostly wanted inexpensive things anyway) and I'm really excited about it.  It's going to be a great Christmas, I'm sure they're going to be happy, and I am not dreading the credit card bill that usually shows up in January.  Not to mention, buying less has relieved a lot of the stress I usually feel about making sure everyone is "even" and I haven't forgotten anything.  I shopped, I finished, I wrapped...the end
.
I also told my kids that I'd like them to think about some service they could do for others during this month.  I had big plans to really get out there and have them do some serious service but I didn't follow through... (Hey... we're doing baby steps here...one thing at a time!) However, the kids all managed to work in some good service on their own, for which I am very proud of them.

And did I mention that I've been working a part time job all month?  It made for some good extra money but I was never tempted once to use it for Christmas.  If my arm were a little longer I'd pat myself on the back.
This year I also did not do neighbor gifts, teacher gifts, and I cut back on gifts for extended family as well.  I hope everyone can understand that this had to be done... Doesn't mean I don't love and appreciate them all, but digging myself into a hole of debt and stress is not really the way to show it!

So overall, this will make for a different Christmas for us.  Opening presents won't take nearly as long, but then again, the mess won't be nearly as huge either!  And instead of buying them everything in sight, I got them a few things they really wanted... plus I told Patrick there was only one not very expensive thing I really, really wanted (which I'm pretty sure he bought since I caught a peek of him hauling in the box).  He still feels bad because he wants to buy me more, but I continue to tell him this...The best present I can have right now is a debt-free life!

Now, tomorrow I'm going to go wrap up those unopened Playstation games and stick them under the tree.  Oughta make for a good laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Good Job Wendy!!!! I will not put Christmas presents on a credit card at all and it makes me happy - I save a little each month and then do the cash thing too! It is the only way to go!

    Where are you working?

    ReplyDelete