I know I shouldn't say such derogatory things about myself, but hey...if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...you get the picture. But I'm on a quest now...a quest away from fut-ness.
There are several bad habits that I have that contribute to my problem. Years ago, I changed my ways and developed new habits and sure enough, I lost weight. Unfortunately, over the last year I've managed to undo all my new training and gone back to my old, very bad habits. Here is a list of the habits I am working to develop again:
- Eat more whole grains. I found out that I actually prefer wheat over white--especially for things like pasta. I just need to get back to it.
- Stop eating after 7 p.m. After years and years of heartburn, when I stopped eating after 7, that magically stopped. When I started the late night snacking, back it came!
- Eat a better breakfast. Cold sugar cereal with added sugar is a no-no.
- Stop skipping lunch. I don't deliberately skip it, it's just that the day gets away from me. Before I know it, it's 2:30 and I haven't eaten. Then the snacking begins.
- Get to bed at a decent time and actually go to sleep--no reading for two hours or watching t.v. This one is hard because by the time everyone else gets all their stuff done (including mountains of homework) and goes to bed, I just long for some time to relax and before I know it, it's midnight. That would be okay if I didn't have to get up at 5:45 a.m.
- Stop drinking soda! I used to be a Pepsi freak...then I gave it all up for Coke Zero, which I LOVE. I used to control myself and just have a couple of cans a week but all that has gone out the window and I'm back to the Super Big Gulp size every chance I get. I justify it with the fact that it has no calories, but I know I shouldn't. I went cold turkey on Monday and even though I hear a chorus of the cans in the garage chanting my name, I'm not giving in. (On the note of this soda thing, in an effort to quit I went online and read some stuff about the bad effects of soda--particularly diet sodas. Kidney failure, increased risk of heart attack, memory loss, moodiness, destroying your tooth enamel, bone loss, weight gain and DIARRHEA...should be enough to stop me. Considering the amount I've been drinking, it explains a lot...and in case you're wondering, I'm talking about memory loss and moodiness, NOT diarrhea.)
- Stop the incessant GRAZING. I'm like a cow...every time I pass some food, whether it's sitting on the counter or requires me to open the fridge or the pantry I have to stop for a "bite". One bite turns into two, and so on and so on... Before you know it I've snacked an entire box of crackers into non existence one cracker at a time.
- No more seconds. To be honest, the first serving tastes great, so I think I want more, but the second serving actually doesn't taste that great because I'm full AND I feel guilty for eating it. I also need to go back to the smaller plate I was using.
- And last, but not least, I need to stop snacking on food as I'm cooking. Grating some cheese?...slice off a chunk! Crumbling crackers?...I think I'll eat three! A book I read talks about how many calories the average cook consumes by snacking on and tasting the food they're cooking as they're cooking it, and let's just say it can add up to a whole extra portion. I can lie to myself and say I'm checking to make sure it tastes good, but let's face some facts: licking the bowl when I'm done frosting the cake is a little too late for "checking the taste" considering the cake is already frosted.
Wendy, I love you! :) That is why I love Weight Watchers so much! You don't have to give everything up! You just have to learn how to make better choices, eat smaller portions and exercise and you can still eat the things you love (in moderation of course). I just did the online version because it was cheaper and there was no way I was weighing in with anyone watching. Plus, my schedule is so crazy at different times of the year (as in baseball season) so I knew I couldn't commit to one set time per week. Anywho, I absolutely loved it! (I say loved because I just barely cancelled my membership since I met my goal and stopped tracking my stuff.) Now I have set a new, non-WW goal that involves exercising and being careful about what I eat. :)
ReplyDelete