Well...after a week of torment with those STUPID little boxes under the tree, I finally have the answers...And the answer is...I am SPOILED! Here is my big surprise:
I told Patrick not to buy it... I really didn't want to spend this kind of money in the middle of our Total Money Makeover...but I have a confession to make...I REALLY WANTED IT! And Patrick managed to pull off the ULTIMATE in surprises because I truly had no idea this was coming. The little boxes under the tree were the bowl scraper attachment and the food processor attachment. By the size of the boxes (and the lack of a box big enough to hold this Bosch) I never would have guessed. (As stated in my last post, he just isn't this sneaky...but apparently I was wrong.) He thinks I knew and was just playing along, but I really wasn't. And those boxes really were driving me nuts.
I have to say that I have been using my Kitchenaid to make bread for several years now. I love my Kitchenaid and I have gotten a LOT of use out of it, but when I'm making bread it almost sounds like a cow either giving birth or dying a slow, agonizing death. It actually makes me nervous listening to the horrible groaning noises and occasionally I find myself sniffing it to make sure it isn't going to suddenly burst into flames. Then one day, it breathed it's last breath and croaked, right there in the middle of a batch of cinnamon rolls. I think I actually muttered a string of curse words that are still hanging out there in the haze above my house as I hand kneaded the dough and swore that until it got fixed I wasn't going to be making any more bread (I mean, COME ON...I'm dedicated but not that dedicated...) That was the week I realized how often I actually used my mixer as I crossed meal after meal off my list of things I was willing to cook--many of them family favorites like pizza, rolls, and anything with a bun. I went back to my regular hand mixer for things like cookies but decided that having to actually stand there and hold it was way more work than I was willing to do, so cookies were crossed off the list too.
Patrick, realizing that I was no longer cooking dinner that involved carbs, decided to fix it for me. We ordered the parts online and he spent one whole miserable afternoon taking it apart, getting grease all over everything (anyone that knows Patrick would understand what a problem this is), getting super angry about little bitty parts that wouldn't budge, but finally fixing it. I went back to using it but every time it started groaning again I could see Patrick cringing from the memories and fear of having to do it again. Maybe this gift was as much for him as it was for me. It doesn't matter because it's a win/win, really.
As for the box that was only half wrapped, that was a bookcase from IKEA that I really wanted for my scrapbooking room. The bumpy little packages were the baskets. I had both of these figured out without even peeking. (Okay, okay, I peeked at the half wrapped box but there was nothing but cardboard--not a single word on it. Besides, I already knew what it was so it didn't matter than I peeked.) Maybe the fact that he'd bought these things is what threw me on the other surprise.
So, clearly I am spoiled rotten. Patrick is good to me. All I got him was a crummy couple of books, a CD boxed set and some workout clothes....I'm feeling a little like a schmuck. Guess I owe him lots and lots of bread...

No comments:
Post a Comment