Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mr. Invisible

 

 If Dylan was a superhero, he would be named Mr. Invisible. When we go ANYWHERE as a family, I am constantly not seeing him, looking around wondering where he is and asking "where's Dylan?" even when he's standing right next to me.  I guess I am really afraid of losing him or something (either that or he really IS invisible) and it drives him absolutely CRAZY to keep hearing me say "Where's Dylan?" all the time....he's even been known to slug me over it.  I'm not even joking--it's like I really can't see him.
When we were at Disneyland this last summer, I said it so many times everyone started making jokes about how he needed a red and white striped shirt and a funny hat, since I am constantly looking for him. And to add to that, every time we tried to get a good family picture on a ride (the ones that take them for you like Splash Mountain) we could see the WHOLE FAMILY except for Dylan...his face was always covered by something whether it be a seat, a pole. or someone's arm or hair.  By the end of the trip he was actually starting to feel bad because of it, and when we took a shot at ONE PERFECT PICTURE of our entire family on Splash Mountain one last time before the trip was over, we even planned to all lean one way so we'd be sure to get Dylan's face...So what does Dylan do?  He leans the same way as the rest of us, and there we all are smiling at the camera--everyone but Dylan.  We all laughed hysterically but he didn't think it was very funny.  I bought the picture anyway (even though he begged me not to) because the story is just too funny to not remember it forever.
But the real reason I call Dylan Mr. Invisible, is because he is such a good kid.  He hangs around quietly in the background, doing his thing...he doesn't complain much and takes care of business without prodding or other action on my part. I love that if he has homework, he comes home and gets it done.  I never have to ask him.  If he has chores to do, he just goes and does it without being reminded.  He is willing to take on extra jobs if I ask, including icky ones like cleaning out the litter box....He is just all around agreeable.  And quiet.  Sometimes so quiet I forget he's even here.  Sometimes I feel like he's being ignored, because he just doesn't need someone babysitting him and getting after him all the time...and I'm trying really hard to praise him for all these good things because I really want him to know how much I appreciate this.  Everyone should have a Dylan in their life.

1 comment:

  1. Alright...I'll take Dylan. I LOVE to read your blog. Seriously you are so clever in your writing.

    ReplyDelete