I have a problem...and I've spent my whole life with it. I am WAY too uptight...and sometimes I drive myself absolutely crazy. I expect perfection where none is possible...and I can't make a decision to save my life...you know, because what if I decide and I'm wrong?! And would you believe there is a person alive that is completely incapable of doing anything "random"? Well, there is...and I'm your girl. You should see me trying to "randomly" put some kind of embellishment on a scrapbook page...No matter how hard I try I always end up with a pattern...which isn't always a good thing. I've even tried closing my eyes and just dropping things...but I will end up moving something every time because it doesn't look "just right". Ugh...
Even though I have always known that I have this problem, it has really been rearing it's ugly head lately...
It all started as I was finishing the mud. For obvious reasons, I could NEVER texture the walls...because it would end up in some creepy pattern (again, I don't do "random"} so they are smooth...or at least my attempt at smooth. After umpteen buckets of mud and four coats it was time to face some facts: no matter how hard I tried, the walls would never be smooth enough to forego sanding (and believe me, I tried my best). So...I sanded. And the funny thing is, it looks great. There was really no reason to worry so much. (I did, however, go around with a minuscule scrap of sandpaper to hit all the corners and no matter how hard I try, they just aren't perfect. But I've done what I can...)
I'm getting ready to move all the storage stuff into the storage room...which brings me to a whole new world of problems. How to organize it all so it's EXACTLY THE RIGHT WAY. What if I can't see things and then I can't find them later and forget I have them? What if there isn't enough room for everything? How do I organize the food storage so I can keep track of what I have and properly rotate it? A friend told me I should just let Patrick move it all in there and organize it for me...but that sounds like a recipe for a giant marital conflict. I would undoubtedly be peeking around the corner whispering that he was doing it wrong until he broke down and punched me. (He would never really punch me but I'm sure he's thought about it a couple of times.)
And now we move on to paint. If I thought the mud was hard...well, the paint is going to put me into an early grave. It isn't that I can't paint, because I can and I actually enjoy it (except the stinking ceiling which required five gallons of paint and about broke my neck--and I still have another coat to do...*sigh*) As a matter of fact, I won't LET anyone help me paint (even Patrick, who has offered, is not allowed to help me) because I am so persnickety about how the painting job is done (and I'd actually like all my friends to still LIKE me when it's over, which definitely wouldn't be the case if they helped me paint). So I am quite happy to do all the painting myself.
My painting problem is PICKING COLORS! In case you haven't been to the paint store lately, let me just tell you there is a paint chip to match every single color in every shade known to man (and many colors and shades UNKNOWN to the civilized world...) and I have brought home a stack of them about three feet tall...not to mention books, and pamphlets with all sorts of coordinating trios. Just thinking about it makes my brain hurt.
Now, I know what people are saying (because they've said it to me...many, many, many times): "What's the big deal? It's only paint...if you don't like it just do it again in another color!" These poor, well-meaning souls just don't understand how a neurotic, frenzied mind like mine works. I absolutely can't think that way...It's probably part of the reason why the walls in the upstairs have been white for nine years.
So tomorrow I will be venturing out to find a shower curtain. It's the only way I will ever be able to pick colors for the bathroom. At least I have some ideas about what I want to do...now hopefully I can find something in the store that will fit what I'm thinking. I'd sure hate to have to weave my own cloth and sew my own shower curtain because nothing I find is "good enough".
As for the kid's bedrooms...luckily they all have new bedspreads, so colors aren't too bad, but what about SHADE? I don't want it too light...and I don't want it too dark...I want it JUST RIGHT. (Call me Goldilocks...) And what fun thing can I do to liven up these rooms? Or should I just paint them all one solid color and be done with it? If I do that, I will probably be sad I didn't do more...
...See what I mean?
Oh Wendy - you still make me laugh.....All my walls are the same color they were when we moved in - can't pick any colors either....but I think I need to have you come paint... if I want it done right!
ReplyDeleteJulie
Wendy, Wendy, Wendy.....Unfortunately, you are not the only one that has paint dilemas. My SIL spent months deciding on paint and then another month deciding if she liked it. I hope you have an easy time finding a shower curtain you like. I think that is as hard or harder than paint because it is not only colors you are looking for but styles. You might like the color but they did it in some weird design. I don't want to scare you off - but good luck. Another idea for kids rooms. Use chalkboard paint on a wall :)
ReplyDelete