A couple of years ago when I really made my mind up that I wanted to lose weight, I started reading all sorts of books about healthy eating, I started an exercise routine and I was extremely motivated! For some reason, things just clicked...I was able to turn away from the junk I have gorged myself on my whole life, start eating a lot more healthy food, cut my portions way down, and I exercised like mad--every day but Sunday. And the weight came off! It was awesome. Unfortunately, I hit that wall and all my progress stopped. I have managed to maintain, but I've been struggling ever since.
Why is it so hard for some people and so easy for others? It isn't fair (and please, no lectures about how life isn't fair...I am fully aware of that, so just zip it) I want to like salad and exercise, really...I swear I do. But I don't. In college I decided it was time for me to learn to like salad...so I went to the store, bought all the stuff to make a nice, healthy salad... MADE a nice, healthy salad, then sat and stared at it for two hours before sliding it across the table to my roommate that was drooling over it. I even actually think that some salads look good...I just can't eat them. Is there such a thing as phobia of vegetables? And as for exercise...you know, I have actually heard people say that they LIKE exercise but I think they're probably just a bunch of liars. I hate it. I have to FORCE myself to do it...(I actually feel better after I do it, but that's hard to think about when I am trying to talk myself into doing it.) Lately, it's been a lot harder to force myself.
Today I finally 'fessed up to my husband... and told him I have lost my motivation and I need some help. Luckily he did not give me the whole "it's okay if you're fat, that just means there's more of you to love" speech (which on the surface, seems like a nice thing to say to a person, but it's not...so for anyone that thinks saying this to a fat person is a good idea, take notes...) Instead he motivated me... with a question... "Has there ever been a day that you exercised and then you were sorry that you did it?" followed by another question..."On the days you don't exercise, do you spend the whole day beating yourself up because you DIDN'T?" Then he proceeded to tell me how I would feel better and be happier if I just hurried and got it over with and I would release myself from feelings of guilt for the rest of the day. This was exactly what I needed to hear...and off I went. Thanks, Patrick!
And when I was done, I made cinnamon rolls.
No comments:
Post a Comment